Why Proper Oral Health is a Necessity For Pets?
Yearly dental cleaning and checkup is a certain need for everyone. Even when everyone told you about these, nobody told you that the same dental cleanings are much required for your pets. Pet dental cleaning is a mandate for the owners.
As per the veterinary Centers, it has been said that pets hardly receive complete dental care, and as a result, it been seen that almost 70% of the cats and 80% of dogs have periodontal disease since they are three years old. This is the reason why dental care is pivotal for pets to ensure proper health.
So today, we will have a look at some of the major information about dental health for both dogs and cats.
Why Should Dental Health Be Prioritized?
Proper dental care should always be prioritized as it prevents pets from developing different types of dental diseases like periodontal diseases. This is generally caused by building bacteria in their mouth. These are the bacteria that can form a film over their teeth termed as plague. As soon as the bacteria die, it becomes calcified by the saliva of your pet. This calcified plaque is known as tartar and can lead to gingivitis. This again leads to root infection. In the last stage of periodontal disease, the tooth tissues get destroyed, and the teeth socket loses the ability to hold the tooth, thereby making them lose.
Another very common dental problem that can be witnessed among the pets is the broken teeth. Chewing the hard treats and tours like the bones can result in breaking the teeth of your cats and dogs. This, therefore, keeps the tooth nerve exposed and makes it very painful for them. At this point in time, the most required thing is removing the tooth just to make it less painful for them.
What are the most common symptoms of dental disease among dogs?
Even when different animals show different symptoms and every breed is a lot different from others. However, some things are very common among animals like
- Bleeding mouth
- Bad breath
- Broken Teeth
- Loose Teeth
- Refuse to drink or eat
What do you mean by dental cleaning?
When you are going for a veterinary dental cleaning for your dog, generally the vets will go through several checking. However, the very first thing that they will do is putting into general anesthesia for protecting the vet and pet. They will make use of the advanced technologies and the dental tools for removing the tartar ad plague from the teeth. Once they are done, they will make use of a polishing paste, which will again smoothen out the scratched present in the teeth enamel. Then they will do a fluoride treatment or the barrier sealant before putting the teeth just to desensitize and strengthen the teeth and further preventing from plague development. Dog dental scaling is a very common process that can be seen to perform by the vet.
Apart from the cleaning, they will also go through dental x-rays on the teeth both below and above the gumline. With these x-rays, the vet will allow us to find the problems that will never get visible on the surface of the tooth. They will also check to ensure there is no infected and broken tooth.
What is the importance of dog dental care?
There is a need for the pets to go for regular dental cleaning as the veterinary can become a lot helpful to ensure proper oral health. However, this is again a mandatory thing for the owners to maintain to ensure the oral health of the pet. We will go through the things that you need to do to maintain oral health, but before that, let us take a look at the importance of oral health.
- Prevents tooth loss: When the overall structure of the dog teeth gets infected or damaged, it tends to fall out and loosen the teeth. A good pet dental cleaning will make sure that the supporting structure of the tooth stays healthy and also keep those teeth in place.
- Prevent bad breath: When your dog whiffs and it comes to your nose, and you can feel the bad breath, it is again a sign of immediate dental health care. Having a healthy mouth and healthy teeth of dogs would not produce bad breath. Therefore make sure you keep noticing their breath to stay away from adversity.
- Prevent oral pain: When it comes to dental disease, just the way we human face terrible pain in our gums, it is the same for pets too. It can be very painful or both cats and dogs. Therefore make sure you get their dental health frequently checked just to make sure that they do not go through any pain.
- Prevent organ damage: When there are bacteria present in the oral stream, the chances are higher than the bacteria might enter the bloodstream and can affect your liver, heart, and kidneys. Such spread of the bacteria is called the bacteria can result in damaging the organs and also make them sick. Good oral health care will prevent bacteremia and other organ damage.
- Prevent the worsening of the dental disease: As there are several digs that go through dental disease when they are almost 3years old. However, a proper pet dental cleaning prevents dental diseases and lessens the severity keep at par the other problems caused by wrong dental health.
How to take care of your cat?
To ensure both dog and cat dental cleaning, you will require doing several things.
- Make sure you brush their teeth using your hand
- Check their breath
- Use toothpaste for pets available in the market
When it comes to maintaining the proper oral health of the pets, you will require a lot of things. These are some of the major things that you will require doing when it comes to ensuring good pet dental cleaning.
Consider getting in touch with a vet today.